A teenager was rushed to a hospital in critical condition after a freak accident while playing with his friends at a swimming pool, according to police in Spain.
Valencia police have launched an investigation after the swimming pool filter sucked out the intestines of the 14-year-old boy.
According to the police investigation, the 14-year-old boy went to the leisure center to get swimming lessons. After getting the lessons, the teen decided to stay in the pool with his friends.
On Friday, at around 9:30 p.m., the boy removed the vent of the swimming pool filter. As a result, he got sucked into the filter.
The boy could not free himself due to the strong suction of the filter. Witnesses at the scene quickly turned off the filter and several people rushed to pull out the unconscious teen from the water.
The teen was rushed to the La Fe hospital, where he underwent hours of surgery to put his intestines back into his body. The teen remains in critical condition but is expected to survive.
So far, no charges have been filed as the incident appears to be an accident.