BY SOUTHERN MANDATE OF NIGERIA (SMN)
PRESS RELEASE ……
Following Its Meeting In Benin City,Edo State On Friday, 19th May, 2017, members of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), drawn from across the Seventeen (17) Southern States of Nigeria, comprising the South East, South South and South West geo-political zones under the auspices of Southern Mandate of Nigeria (SMN), converged in Benin City on Friday, 19th May, 2017 to assess the perfomance of the President Buhari- led administration in the last two years.
SMN keenly observed that:
The administration has made enormous success in its set goals of anti-corruption policy, fighting insurgency with inroads in resuscitating our comatose economy. These achievements are commendable and worthy of praise. However the party must go beyond these achievements and wholly deliver to the Nigerian people its campaign promises in order to retain power come 2019.
Hence, there is necessity for critical assessment for proper political stock taking and review to help APC to chart a productive direction.
President Buhari’s inaugural speech where he made the statement “I belong to nobody, but I belong to everybody” should not be a philosophical departure from the golden rule that a worker is entitled to a reward for his efforts, surprisingly, this golden rule has been inadvertently violated.
Prior to the merger and post-merger era of CPC and other parties, there were Buhari’s political associates, followers and members of his party, who worked assiduously for CPC and Mr. President. They contributed immensely to keep the party on the move. But today these people that planned and strategized for the success of the party have been abandoned because most appointees of President Buhari are not party stakeholders in the long struggle of all those years, rather they were his personal staff. and friends, such as Abba Kyari, the Chief of staff to the President, Alh. Abdullahi Maikano, Admin. Officer, Col. Hameed Ali, Comptroller General of Nigerian Customs Services, and Alh. Ya’u Darazo, among many others.
Contrary to insinuations and generalizations in some quarters that. defunct CPC members are the most beneficiaries of President Buhari’s administration, it will be pertinent to state the fact that even in APC party structure, defunct CPC members are not represented in the National Executive Committee of the APC.
It is disheartening to note that advertently or otherwise, the CPC members who genuinely followed President Buhari and put their lives on the line, sold their valuables to fund his election campaigns from 2003 – 2011, and consistently produced 12.5 million votes for him are not properly included in the government today.
This abandonment as a reward point did not only violate the golden rule that the worker deserves some reward but has cracked the wall of unity in APC which is not good especially now that 2019 election is approaching. Our opponents might cash in on this serious anomaly in our wheel of progress to undermine cohesion in APC led federal government.
We sincerely advise our amiable President to do the needful for the sake of justice and fair play because if the party does not continue in power beyond 2019, our dreams to change Nigeria for the good of all will be dashed.
The political opportunists who hijacked the President and the Presidency do not mean well for the President and Nigerians in general
Against this background, the SMN Recomends:
1. That the position of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) be given to a core CPC member. We therefore nominate two of our Leaders, Engr. Buba Galadima. from Yobe state in the North East or Prince Tony Momoh. These men led the Party to secure 12.5 million votes in 2011 elections to replace the embattled SGF.
2. The composition of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) should be reviewed and 40% of appointments into the Federal Cabinet given to core members of the defunct CPC.
3. That defunct CPC leaders who are CO-VISIONERS with President Buhari be accommodated in the Federal Government to help him achieve his set goals of a better Nigeria
4. Ensure that stakeholders of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) are adequately represented in National Executive Committee of the APC and at all levels of the party structure nationwide.
5. Finally we urge Nigerians to pray for the health and wellbeing of President Buhari and for peace and prosperity of our beloved country, Nigeria.
Long live President Muhammadu Buhari!
Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria!!
Long live Southern Mandate of Nigeria!!